Re: Playing DVDs on Debian

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 00:40, Adam wrote:

> > > include your XF86Config-4 as an attachment please.
> > >
> > > Hopefully this is the case:
> > > For 2.4 series (not sure for 2.6) you need the danzer dri trunk packages
> > > for dri.
> > >
> > > If this is the case put this in your sources list:
> > >
> > > deb http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk-sid ./
> > >
> > > apt-get update and apt-get install xlibmesa-gl1-dri-trunk
> > > xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk drm-trunk-module-src
> > >
> > > go to /usr/src and tar -xvf drm-trunk.tar.gz
> > >
> > > Go into your kernel-source directory (if you don't have one we can work
> > > around this)
> > >
> > > if you have kernel-package installed you should be able to:
> > >
> > > make-kpkg modules_image
> > >
> > > to get an installable drm-modules deb appropriate for your kernel.
> > >
> > > Then make sure that agpgart and radeon (or whatever your cards module
> > > is) are loaded, in that order and restart x.  Hopefully this will get
> > > dri working.
> >

> > Ok.. I installed the module package and then inmod mga and r128.. now.. I can't even restart the xserver.. I tried changing my drivers in XFree86-4 config file and now it is unworkable.  I will look over what I have done but so far.. i have unloaded the mga r128 modules and fiddled with my xserver drivers.  Nothing yet. I wonder if after all this time I have been working with an unaccelerated xserver.
>

> XFree86 errors
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
> Skipping
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o": No symbols found
> Skipping
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_norm.o":  No symbols found
> Skipping
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_xform.o":  No symbols found
> Skipping
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/fonts/libspeedo.a:spencode.o":  No
> symbols found
> (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
> (EE) No drivers available.
>

> This is the same output if i use r128 driver and witheach _drm and _dri
> appeneded to each driver.

You built the drm-trunk modules for your 2.4.25 kernel right?

Try just using "ati" in the XF86Config-4 file for the driver.  I believe
that autodetects what it needs to load and takes care of it for you.

Kernel wise, you should have the (uninorth support in the kernel config)
agpgart module loaded or compiled into the kernel.  Have the r128 module
loaded.  Give X another shot and let us know what happens.

Just to double check one more thing please show us your yaboot.conf
file.  Some quick googling suggests video=atyfb128 as an option to try
as well.

--mike