Re: Playing DVDs on Debian

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 01:20, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 01:06:00AM -0700, Adam Done wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 22:35, Dean Hamstead wrote:
>
> > try using mplayer
> >

> I tried using apt-get install mplayer but nothing exists....  Also I
> have tried other players.. vlc. totem.. xine.. but nothing works.. :(

It is not in Debian, it's in a seperate repository.
try:
deb http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/linux-ppc/debian/ mplayer/
It contains Marillats mplayer packages, repackaged by Guido Günther
(mplayer-fonts, mplayer-doc, mplayer-g4 and mplayer-powerpc).
I believe you need libdvdcss2 too.

I installed the mplayer-G4 version.  It works but is very very choppy and sounds has a repeating nick to the sound.  Now I can also use ogle but it too is very choppy.  Is there a way to watch without the jerkyness?

> > > 1.  according to some links I recompiled my kernel with the ide-cd
> > > module and ide-scsi as separate modules and did a
> > >
> > > modprobe ide-scsi
> > >
> > > modprobe sr_mod

I've experienced a lot of DVD play troubles when SCSI emu was loaded
(slow, irresponsive, ...). Since it's not required for burning CD's any
longer, I suggest to get rid of it.

done :)

> > > 2.  When I run gxine I get this output on the terminal
> > >

> > > $ gxine
> > > [...]
> > > Segmentation fault

gxin has segfaulted for me almost every time too. I mostly use totem for DVDs.
Note that I had to play at least one DVD in OS X first to get the region set
right. Maybe this is possible with a free software tool too.
yes.. now it just plain segfaults and no error messages.  It looks like mplayer installed files the other players needed but did not have.

-Adam