Re: Airport support in 2.4.x kernel

Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:

> This sounds very much like DevFS. Install devfsd package that should set
> up the partition names for you in /dev. The problem with devfs is all
> the partitions look different, as it is not /dev/hda1 but something like
> /dev/disks/ide/lun0/partition-foo/blah/eek/1, which is nice, but your
> fstab is not happy with it.
>
> To get around it, you have 2 options:
>
>     * Boot with "devfs=nomount", so in the yaboot boot: prompt: linux
>       devfs=nomount
>     * See that the "automatically mount at boot" option of devfs is not
>       set in the kernel configuration.

Bingo! A million thanks for posting that response Tuomas!!!!!!! I went into
the kernel configuration and saw the auto mount option set to yes, set it to
no, recompiled and I've just boot for the first time with the 2.4.3-pre3
kernel.

> For the airport stuff, I try to share what I know so far:

You have set me on the right track here. I have the module now, and was able
to insmod it, but I don't see any wireless interfaces, so will go to the links
you gave and RTFM and see if I can get it started.

> Also, get the wireless-tools package that has the "iwconfig" tool which
> is incredibly useful for figuring out if the network works etc.  I dont
> personally use the WEP, I just limit the harware address(es) that can
> connect to the base station. You can get iwconfig from

I do have the wireless-tools package installed and have iwconfig, just need to
read up and learn how to use it (assuming similar to ifconfig, but for
wireless;-).

> Anyway, I hope this was useful. Feel free to ask if you have questions,

Very much so!!!!! Thanks again for the help, you've put me on the right path
to the wireless promised land...<g>

You and Michel have been most helpful, if I run into either of you at
LinuxWorld or similar, I'll certainly buy each of you a cold one!!!! Thanks
for the help guys!

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.