netatalk causes kernel panic

I compiled and was running fine with a 2.2.19pre17 kernel. I decided to turn setup the computer as a dhcp server. When starting the dhcp daemon it told me i needed to recompile with CONFIG_FILTER turned on (well CONFIG_PACKET too, but that's already in this kernel).

I recompilied by run make menuconfig and turning on the Socket Filtering. I didn't make any other changes to the config. i ran make vmlimux (i didn't do a make mrproper and start over from scratch)

Now when I start netatalk it kernel panics.  the first line of the panic is:
mojo kernel: Kernel panic: kernel access of bad area pc 0 lr c8111780 address 0 tsk atalkd/363

Everything else seems to work fine.  Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks - Kevin