Re: debian2.2r2 on powerbook G4

Eric Deveaud wrote:

> I'm trying to install debian on a powerbook G4 (titanium).
>
> as the cd is non bootable, I grab the linux kernel and ramdisk.image.gz
> from /potato/main/disks-powerpc/2.2.19-2000-12-03/powermac/

No, that CD is bootable. The trick is knowing how to force the G4 titanium
into booting from the CD. For my Pismo, this information was pointed out from
a friend who knew it from their iBook, but it was located in the
"Troubleshooting" section of the Getting Started book that came with the
PowerBook. For the Pismo you hold down the C key while booting.

> should I compile a new kernel on my pismo, and try with this new one ??
>
> any advice ??

I think you are better off getting the CD to boot and building the kernel on
the titanium. I don't like the concept of building a kernel on another
machine, since the hardware could be and probably is different, it gets
confusing knowing which .config you used...just my $0.02, take it with a grain
of salt. The two machines are similar, so you could do that though.

BTW, please post the secret key combo when you find out how to force a boot
from the CD, I think others will need to know that eventually. It might even
be me if I get a titanium...(looking over shoulder to see if wife is watching
me type;-).

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.