Re: debian2.2r2 on powerbook G4

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 08:43:40PM -0800, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> Due to my ignorance in differences between a G3 and G4, I would certainly opt
> to compile the G4 on the native processor given the problems I've seen on
> getting ppc linux to run on the G4 Titanium anyway, call me old fashioned...

 Ok, since you asked for it, you're old fashioned.  Happy now?  :)  A G4 is
a G3 core with an altivec strapped on, basically.  They also made the write
buffers deeper, and some other misc. tweaks.  Also, it has SMP support
built in (and has a faster cache coherency protocol than earlier SMP-capable
PPC chips).  (Yes, you can set up SMP G3s, but I think you need external
glue logic.)

 Both chips run the same user-space binaries, so running gcc on the same
source code will give identical binaries.

 However, unless you have a good reason to compile the kernel on another
machine (e.g. the machine you want the kernel for won't boot until you get
the kernel compiled), it's certainly easier to just build the kernel on the
machine that will run it.  This is just for convenience in managing
kernel config files and modules.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y