Re: debian2.2r2 on powerbook G4

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 01:16:32PM -0800, Alan DuBoff wrote:

> I think you are better off getting the CD to boot and building the kernel on
> the titanium. I don't like the concept of building a kernel on another
> machine, since the hardware could be and probably is different,

 That's totally bogus.  Nothing depends on the hardware of the computer the
kernel is compiled on.  With a cross-compiler, you should be able to use a
fast PPC to compile a kernel on an old x86 laptop.

> it gets
> confusing knowing which .config you used...just my $0.02, take it with a grain
> of salt. The two machines are similar, so you could do that though.

 The .config files are the only confusing part.  I usually copy .config to
/usr/src/machinename.conf when I'm done.  I use my P200MMX desktop machine
to compile kernels for my slower x86 machines, a P75 and a 486 laptop.  The
laptop didn't (until a recent factor-of-20 upgrade to disk space :) have
enough room for the kernel source tree, and it would have taken all day to
compile 2.4.2 on it with 20MB of RAM.  My PPC machine compiles its own
kernel, because it's easier to do that than install a cross compiler to
compile my x86 kernels on it.

 You can switch .config files by copying a new one in and running
make oldconfig.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y