Re: Airport support in 2.4.x kernel

On 13 Mar 2001 19:08:06 -0800, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> > > After I get my airport module, I think I need to add my network wireless
> > > network name as an argument when the module loads, correct?
> >
> > If the network requires it, yes. I don't remember what the option names are. I
> > understand there is some option for modprobe or insmod to show the options for
> > a module but I can't find it right now.
>
> Well, I got the kernel built, but it doesn't want to run. I have some problems
> with ext2, it seemed it couldn't get the partitions mounted or something like
> that...I did have ext2 enabled, checked it a second time. The odd thing is
> that I had a 2.4.3pre2, did a build, but before installing it tried another
> rsync and it updated to 2.4.3pre3. Not sure if Paulus was going through
> changes yesterday or what, will look into that today when I get some time. I
> need to get some work done before playing with the PowerBook anymore.

This sounds very much like DevFS. Install devfsd package that should set
up the partition names for you in /dev. The problem with devfs is all
the partitions look different, as it is not /dev/hda1 but something like
/dev/disks/ide/lun0/partition-foo/blah/eek/1, which is nice, but your
fstab is not happy with it.

To get around it, you have 2 options:

    * Boot with "devfs=nomount", so in the yaboot boot: prompt: linux
      devfs=nomount
    * See that the "automatically mount at boot" option of devfs is not
      set in the kernel configuration.

For the airport stuff, I try to share what I know so far:

If your airport network is not set in the "secret" mode where you need
to know the network name to be able to connect, the driver should be
able to figure it out by itself. So insmod the driver, and it should
figure things out. If you use the WEP encryption you need to give the
stuff in as parameters.

These are the parameters you are interested in: (from Ben's webpage,
http://penguinppc.org/~benh)

    insmod airport.o network_name=my_network [enc=key]

Also, get the wireless-tools package that has the "iwconfig" tool which
is incredibly useful for figuring out if the network works etc.  I dont
personally use the WEP, I just limit the harware address(es) that can
connect to the base station. You can get iwconfig from

    http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html

You can set most of the options with iwconfig if you dont want to use
the module parameters, or if you want to tune the stuff later.

Anyway, I hope this was useful. Feel free to ask if you have questions,
this is roughly what came to my mind just now. I'll try to peek in here
every now and then, though I have a lot of mail to take care of (and I
am in the process of switching my mail load into Evolution which will
help me a lot, it is becoming an awesome mailer! :o)

Best wishes,

Tuomas

Tuomas Kuosmanen - Art Director -
Ximian - tigert@ximian.com -