Re: Airport support in 2.4.x kernel

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 04:27:54AM +0200, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:

> This sounds very much like DevFS. Install devfsd package that should set
> up the partition names for you in /dev. The problem with devfs is all
> the partitions look different, as it is not /dev/hda1 but something like
> /dev/disks/ide/lun0/partition-foo/blah/eek/1, which is nice, but your
> fstab is not happy with it.
>
> To get around it, you have 2 options:
>
>     * Boot with "devfs=nomount", so in the yaboot boot: prompt: linux
>       devfs=nomount
>     * See that the "automatically mount at boot" option of devfs is not
>       set in the kernel configuration.

<RANT MODE="flame">

why in the *HELL* is the .config in the rsync/bk kernel trees set this
way!?

its bad enough that we get someone asking every 5 minutes why thier
mouse doesn't work ever since the input layer fiasco, and now the
example kernel config comes setup by default to leave the user's
system UNECESSARILY BROKEN.

i have already seen several questions on this damn devfs problem
here, and much more on irc.

if whoever set this .config this way is listening: TURN THIS DAMN
THING OFF.   if users want it and know what it is let THEM turn it on
and configure thier system to work with it.  don't f*ck over everyone
else who has a system not setup for devfs and does not notice/is aware
of the implications of this broken configuration.

gratuitously breaking peoples systems like this is exceptionally
rude.

if you look back in the kernel list archives you will find out that
the `mount by default' option was added SPECIFICALLY to solve the
endless stream of paniced users sending in mail along the lines of `i
turned on devfs support and now by system does not boot!'  thats why
this option is there and turned *OFF* by default.

in the past the included .config was useful for people since it was a
generic config that worked on most powerpcs, this configuration will
on the other hand BREAK on the majority of systems.

</RANT>

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/