Re: Debian IS for the enterprise

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 05:19:58PM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Quoting Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be>:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 11:57:12AM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> > > Debian GNU/Linux have ALWAYS been targeted (primarily) for servers.
> >
> > Could you point me at the specific paragraph in either the constitution
> > or the social contract, or in perhaps any other official document by the
> > Debian project as a whole that supports this statement?
>
> No I can't.

In that case, what you've been saying simply isn't true. The only
organization who can say something about the intended purpose of the
Debian distribution is the Debian Project. In this case, if there is no
official document that supports your statement, your statement is false.

> But it's been up for discussion on the mailinglists a NUMBER of
> times, and the conclution was always that Debian GNU/Linux is a server OS,
> but not primarily (note: in that order, more or less exact words).

What mailinglists? Do they have any connection to the Debian Project? If
not, see above -- and even then, a mailinglist is hardly an authoritative
source...

> > If not, I can but conclude that your are misinformed. Debian is for "our
> > users and free software" (Social Contract 4). In the past, our users
> > have primarily been "people running servers", but that has clearly
> > changed. Saying that Debian is only for servers and that nobody should
> > be using it on the desktop is like saying that Linux should only be used
> > by volunteers and hobbyists, because they're the ones who originally
> > created it and gave it momentum.
>
> Now don't put words in my mouth,

Where did I put words in your mouth? I made a comparison, there's a huge
difference.

[...]
> WAY behind us. It should be quite obvious that it doesn't work to have
> such a huge distribution. There's only one distribution that is this big,
> and that's ours. Just that fact should tell you something. It doesn't
> work...

I'm not saying that the way we manage things currently is perfect. Yes,
maybe we should change and improve the way we work; but throwing stuff
out isn't exactly the right way to do it.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."