Re: Debian IS for the enterprise

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 11:57:12AM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Debian GNU/Linux have ALWAYS been targeted (primarily) for servers.

Could you point me at the specific paragraph in either the constitution
or the social contract, or in perhaps any other official document by the
Debian project as a whole that supports this statement?

If not, I can but conclude that your are misinformed. Debian is for "our
users and free software" (Social Contract 4). In the past, our users
have primarily been "people running servers", but that has clearly
changed. Saying that Debian is only for servers and that nobody should
be using it on the desktop is like saying that Linux should only be used
by volunteers and hobbyists, because they're the ones who originally
created it and gave it momentum.

Especially trying to tell other volunteers how they should use their
time is, uh, silly. We're volunteers; if we're no longer interested, we
won't be volunteers anymore and will move on to other things.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."