Re: Debian IS for the enterprise

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org> a tapoté :

[...]

>     Tim> I really doubt that; I think the majority of the packages you
>     Tim> call crap don't have huge dependencies or are heavily
>     Tim> dependent upon. Unless of course you call things like glibc,
>     Tim> perl, gcc or the base of gnome and kde crap that is.
>
> Rubbish! Once up on a time, when Debian GNU/Linux WAS for the Enterprise
> (ie, it had the quality needed to call it an Enterprise distribution)
> we managed to release in a quite reasonable time. And Debian wasn't big,
> but still had everything that one could ask for on a server.

1. Can you explain how this paragraph is related to the one you reply
   too (except of being posted on the same mailing-list with the same
   Subject: header)
2. Can you explain what makes you think that Enteprise is equal to
   server?

> I should say that SERVER is the keyword _I_ use when talking about
>'Enterprise'... If you want a workstation, install SuSE, RH,
>Whatever.

I already commented this confusion between enterprise and server.

3. Now, next step, what makes you think that Debian specifically
   target?

4. What makes you think that RedHat, for instance, specifically target
   Desktop computers?

[...]

> Ok, there's a few server distributions, but I always put Debian
>GNU/Linux as number one there...

Good for you.

>But with the last few 'stable releases', I do not call it 'the best'
>distribution any more! I'm getting quite feed up with the way
>releases are handled... I don't mind late releases, as long as they
>are GOOD!

5. So the latest releases are bad? How so?

6. You do not mind "late release". So why do you argue about Debian
   not releasing stable in a "quite reasonable time"?

> So when talking 'crud' and 'crap' here, I mean 'everything that is not
> needed/wanted on a server'. Example on that is anything that uses a GUI
> (ie, X11 stuff such as window managers, games), the lg-* (The Linux
> Gazette) packages etc, etc... The list could be long...

So everything that you have no interest in is crap. If I follow your
policy, I should tell that your mail is definitely total crap.
But well, even following others policies, I could reach such a
conclusion.

> Some exceptions needs to be done here, since a compiler is NOT wanted
> on a server

God spoke. Amen.

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |