Re: Debian IS for the enterprise

Quoting Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be>:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 11:57:12AM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> > Debian GNU/Linux have ALWAYS been targeted (primarily) for servers.
>
> Could you point me at the specific paragraph in either the constitution
> or the social contract, or in perhaps any other official document by the
> Debian project as a whole that supports this statement?

No I can't. But it's been up for discussion on the mailinglists a NUMBER of
times, and the conclution was always that Debian GNU/Linux is a server OS,
but not primarily (note: in that order, more or less exact words).

> If not, I can but conclude that your are misinformed. Debian is for "our
> users and free software" (Social Contract 4). In the past, our users
> have primarily been "people running servers", but that has clearly
> changed. Saying that Debian is only for servers and that nobody should
> be using it on the desktop is like saying that Linux should only be used
> by volunteers and hobbyists, because they're the ones who originally
> created it and gave it momentum.

Now don't put words in my mouth, and I won't put any in yours! Yes, the
users are more and more non-admins and that's just fine. But SOMEONE needs
to supply _exactly_ what the admin needs. And sine (basically) nonone else
is doing it, I think that Debian GNU/Linux should rediscover it's roots and
supply this...

> Especially trying to tell other volunteers how they should use their
> time is, uh, silly. We're volunteers; if we're no longer interested, we
> won't be volunteers anymore and will move on to other things.

Yes. And I'm also a volunteer. You and all the others that think Debian
GNU/Linux should be a 'one-size-fits-all' kind'a distribution is trying to
do something that just won't work in the long run. And that long run is
WAY behind us. It should be quite obvious that it doesn't work to have
such a huge distribution. There's only one distribution that is this big,
and that's ours. Just that fact should tell you something. It doesn't
work...

--
KGB Panama Marxist iodine cryptographic NSA Mossad Cocaine Semtex
Peking strategic munitions killed PLO Ortega