Re: Debian Enterprise?

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:10:07 +1100
Zenaan Harkness <zen@aaroncommercial.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 05:17, Andres Salomon wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:51:43 -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > > If the sub-project approach would mean that the new packages and
> > > enhancements would be folded into Debian, then I think that is
> > > definitely preferable.  I do not think that basing it on testing
> > > is the best approach; in my experience, enterprises prefer a
> > > longer (stable) release cycle than testing's daily churn.
> >
> > Normally I'd agree; however, one of the issues I'm trying to resolve
> > is the need for numerous backports.  However, I do believe the
> > subproject/kernel is a good start.  I would prefer to see it based
> > around testing snapshots, not necessarily testing itself.
>
> Is it possible to create task or meta packages that depend on specific
> versions - eg. a bunch of versions as at a specific "snapshot" date of
> "testing"??

I think that will give problems. If this package gets into testing then
the packages which it depends on can't get any new versions into
testing. If it's not in testing there's no guaranty that it's
dependencies will be in the archive (precisely because new versions of
package get into testing).

grtjs Tim