Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
> > If knoppix is all handled by debs you can koppify your installed
> > system by "apt-get install <knoppix debs>". Thats the end goal of
> > getting knoppix into Debian in my opinion.
> So we have very different opinions about Knoppix.  I understand
> Knoppix as plain Debian prepared as live CD while it has some nice
> preconfiguration but this is more or less debian-desktop work and
> has absolutely nothing to do with Knoppix.

Debix (through the device mapper) completly removes the live CD aspect
of the installation. The CD part becomes completly transparent. The
Knoppix developers are quite intrested in this since all the other
methods (onionfs, lucientfs, symlink farm) all, well, suck. When 2.6
is released and becomes stable device mapper support is in the
standard kernel so no extra patches will be neccessary, which is
another argument for it.

> > For the same reason that users want the hd-install function on the
> > knoppix.
> I see this as workaround to get a nice Debian installer.  This will
> be mostly fixed by d-i (hopefully).

D-I doesn't realy go that way. Its just a nicer, modular design of
boot-floppies. You can add nice modules to it to do this kind of work
but it a different approach from a live cd. D-I does an install from
scratch with a minimal system (the initrd on the floppy or boot image)
using the udebs and then another install of base onto the target
medium.

MfG
        Goswin