Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 02:51:00PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:34:45AM +0100, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > At the very least, we can document the process of making these CDs and
> > we can work with whoever plans on packaging these.
>
> Is there a process for making these CDs from nothing more than debs
> downloaded from debian.org?

I know at least of one such process and its the one used at metadistros
(metadistros.hispalinux.es). The tool in this case is called 'calzador'.
IIRC it basicly depends on having a chroot environment set with the OS
image you want to burn and it adds that together with  the bootup stuff.

> Obviously it's non-trivial, but it should be possible to have debootstrap
> (or a similar tool) construct bootable Knoppix-esque CDs without any
> user-interaction IMO.

There's still much to do in order to develop said script but some projects
were trying to automate this process. It still remains to see if these
scripts are going to be reusable and could be included in Debian.

Regards

Javi