Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
> > Why do I tell you this?
> This is easy to tell: It's absolutely on topic.
>
> > Debian will soon have Debix to make transparent live CDs. All you have
> > to worry is getting the autodetection and autoconfiguration into
> > policy conform debs that makes your live CD so great. Once you can
> I'm not keen on the name Knoppix.  But we have to move all the nice
> auto-detection stuff of Knoppix into this build system.  Moreover there
> might be some help in preconfiguration of desktop etc, which is more
> or less done in Knoppix (or Gnoppix for Gnome).  People might say that
> some stuff in Knoppix might violate Debian policy.  But I see no direct
> relevance of Debian policy for a derived LiveCD as long as the
> preparation is done in a clean chroot ... and this violation is
> necessary / makes sense.

Acutally no. Debix will not get any of that.

Its your job as the user of debix to provide a already "knopified"
chroot or to provide debs that debix will install via debootstrap to
create a filesystem for the cd.

Producing debs for this would be better because then you can easily
update and modify the system. Making the debs policy cleans allows
them to enter debian. The debs should be such that they can be used on
a normal debian harddisk installation. Debix takes care of the live cd
stuff transparently. This also mean any debian user can just upgrade
his debian to a knoppix.

If can't work with the policy but still want something in debian you
would have to make a package that can create a knoppix chroot,
i.e. package the scripts that transform a "normal" debian to
knoppix. But I strongly suggest building policy conform debs for
everything even if it means some things become slightly more
complex (or bend the policy).

I suggest putting all the knoppix debs into task knoppix. That way
users can install debian and when task-sel pops up they select task
knoppix, wait some and then they have they fully featured knoppix on
the harddisk. Not as smooth as the live CD but still much easier than
configuring everything themself.

MfG
        Goswin