Re: Some observations regardig the progress towards Debian 3.1

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 04:42:44PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 01:12:10AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > KDE 3 needed a long time until it was hinted into testing.
> Ahh, so why did it even needed to be hinted at all?

It needed to be hinted because there's a lot of interdependencies between
kde packages that it takes too much time to work out automatically
(as in more than a day).

It was forced because it still had bugs that would make it unacceptable
for testing, however for the first time since woody's release they were
minor enough to be worth doing.

> How much more would testing stay in a releasable state if the manual hinting
> wasn't used at all?

The main cause of testing not being releasable is that we're not doing
a good job of maintaining unstable. We don't have a releasable installer
still. We haven't had KDE and all its dependents be free of RC bugs for
a single day for the past year and a half.

Cheers,
aj

Australian DMCA (the Digital Agenda Amendments) Under Review!
	-- http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/copyright/digitalagenda