Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
>
> > > Is there a process for making these CDs from nothing more than debs
> > > downloaded from debian.org?
> >
> > I know at least of one such process and its the one used at metadistros
> > (metadistros.hispalinux.es). The tool in this case is called 'calzador'.
> > IIRC it basicly depends on having a chroot environment set with the OS
> > image you want to burn and it adds that together with  the bootup stuff.
>
>    ~> apt-cache search calzador
>
> has no output and this is (one of) the problem here.  What we need is
> *complete* integration.  The profit would be on both sides: Metadistros
> would get well known in the Debian community (first step would be an
> internationalized web page).  On the other hand Debian would become
> fit for even more user tasks.
>
> > There's still much to do in order to develop said script but some projects
> > were trying to automate this process. It still remains to see if these
> > scripts are going to be reusable and could be included in Debian.
> Why?
> Any piece of free software might be able to include into Debian.
>
> Kind regards
>
>           Andreas.
Hi,

I am the author of Debix and some might already know me from the
Linuxtag or the Oldenburg D-I Debcamp.

First, before you ask, Debix developement is currently on hold in
favour of working on D-I but D-I is getting to a stage where it can
utilize Debix so it will start back up soon.

Debix is ment as a tool to make any linux system into a live CD with
no change to the linux system. With the help of the device mapper
(kernel part of lvm2) and an initrd a (compressed) loopback file on
the cdrom (or other medium) is made seemingly writeable. Any changes
to the loopback file will be stored in ram.

Using Debix you can take a completly normal Debian system created with
debootstrap and make it a live CD. Added features are that you can
move the data from the cdrom to any other blockdevice in the
background while the user is working to make a harddisk install for
example. The user would just provide the partition and at some time
later the cdrom would eject and the install is done and already
running, allways had been. Given a cdrom and a burner you can update
the running system (apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade) and reburn it.

Why do I tell you this?

Debian will soon have Debix to make transparent live CDs. All you have
to worry is getting the autodetection and autoconfiguration into
policy conform debs that makes your live CD so great. Once you can
install your system on a harddisk or chroot or update Debian to such a
system your ready to make a live CD with Debix.

MfG
        Goswin