Re: Future releases of Debian

Quoting "Bernhard R. Link" <blink@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>:

> * Jérôme Marant <jmarant@free.fr> [030724 15:08]:
> > >From the user point of view, the new debian-installer looks almost
> > > like boot-floppies (plus some bits of hardware autodetection).
> > So, quite no step has been done on the user friendliness side.
>
> First of all there might be some deficits in the old installer,
> but it's look is definitly not user-unfriendly.

> Debian-installer makes it also easier to get graphical frontends. But
> I consider this more an evidence of good modularity than a direct
> criteria for quality.
>
> (But perhaps I'm old-fashioned. I'm placing a newbie before a computer
>  and look under what circumstances he is able to get something done,
>  if I want to get an indicator for usefulnes. And not showing screen-
>  shots to windows-users and looking if they sheer.)

Sure. Many Debian people/users don't care for having a userfriendly
installer: they want to install the base system and upgrade ever
and ever. I've been pretty happy with boot-floppies so far.
The priority in the installer revamping effort was to create
something more maintainble that you can easily/quickly adapt to
new debian releases.

But my point was the new debian-installed is not going to look like
the current Mandrake 9.1 nor RedHat 9.0 (I've recently installed),
at least for sarge.

--
Jérôme Marant