Re: Future releases of Debian

Quoting Roland Mas <lolando@debian.org>:

> Martin Pitt (2003-07-23 17:57:10 +0200) :
>
> [...]
>
> > Besides, what's so bad with the current boot-floppies that they
> > could not be used for another release?
>
> They're the single most unpopular point of Debian.  The installation
> process is universally known to be non-user-friendly.  (Note I'm not
> saying it doesn't work.)

>From the user point of view, the new debian-installer looks almost
like boot-floppies (plus some bits of hardware autodetection).
So, quite no step has been done on the user friendliness side.

>From the developer point of view, debian-installer is much more
maintainable that boot-floppies. So, it is going be easier to
make it ready quickly for next Debian releases (boot-floppies
have been the bottleneck of past releases).

--
Jérôme Marant