Re: Future releases of Debian

* Jérôme Marant <jmarant@free.fr> [030724 15:08]:
> >From the user point of view, the new debian-installer looks almost
> > like boot-floppies (plus some bits of hardware autodetection).
> So, quite no step has been done on the user friendliness side.

First of all there might be some deficits in the old installer,
but it's look is definitly not user-unfriendly.

Only thing it's missing is the autodetection and expanded possibilities
to make a less fitting system for the impatient.

If the user is ready to read the documentation while installing, the
old ugly thing is still one of the best installers around, if he
knew what hardware he had.

Debian-installer makes it also easier to get graphical frontends. But
I consider this more an evidence of good modularity than a direct
criteria for quality.

(But perhaps I'm old-fashioned. I'm placing a newbie before a computer
 and look under what circumstances he is able to get something done,
 if I want to get an indicator for usefulnes. And not showing screen-
 shots to windows-users and looking if they sheer.)

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.