Re: Future releases of Debian

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:26:24AM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:58:09PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 03:51:51PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > > I don't think you'll find much argument with those points.  It is a matter
> > > of determining what needs to be done in order to achieve this goal, and
> > > doing it.
> >
> > I stated in my initial mail "... as long as my time permits I'm willing
> > to help in QA and/or release management if this results in a new stable
> > release within clearly less than a year.".
> >
> > This offer is still valid.
>
> And as I stated above, I think at least half the problem is determining what
> needs to be done.  Have you any suggestions?

If I were release manager, I'd do the following:
- start to collect a list of thing that need to be done for Debian 3.1
  or that were "nice to have" (e.g. a port to amd64 would be nice to
  have, but shouldn't delay the beginning of the freeze much) together
  with estimated dates when something on this list will be finished
- post a plan on how the freeze will work; my old idea was [1] (today
  I'd suggest a few details different)

At about a week later the following could be done:
- set a fixed date for the beginning of the freeze
- send the final plan on how the freeze will work (some things like
  bug squashing parties can begin before the beginning of the freeze)

There are many ways how a freeze might work, the most important thing is
that every maintainer knows what has to be done and at which date his
packages have to be in a releasable state.

>  - mdz

cu
Adrian

[1] http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/Debian/freeze