Re: Future releases of Debian

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 07:48:04PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:31:51AM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >
> > Most device driver issues relate solely to the kernel, which at present is
> > very easy to upgrade from source in woody.  The most prominent exception is
> > XFree86, which is not so easy to upgrade.
>
> gphoto2 and SANE are other examples for software where the woody
> versions don't work with most hardware you can buy.

The software in woody (photopc and gphoto) works fine with my camera, though
it's not exactly leading edge.  Likewise for my scanner.  In both cases,
though, these are much more niche items than, for example, a graphics card
or a NIC.  Most users don't even have a digital camera or scanner.

> There are some situations where you can't choose that good:
> - hardware that is already present (e.g. a Windows computer that should
>   become dual-boot)

We're screwed a lot of the time in that case anyway due to lack of drivers
or hardware detection.

> - Laptops

I run woody on a lot of laptops with no problems, ThinkPads mostly.

> - integrated graphics in motherboards (especially when you are looking
>   for mini-PCs without AGP or PCI slots)

I'm not worried.

> - you want a graphics cards with DVI output

I don't have a display which needs one, and neither does anyone that I know
at this point.  This is not yet common hardware.

> If you _really want_ Debian there are often ways, but often it's easier
> to switch the distribution.

I really want Debian, and I don't particularly mind if others would rather
have a more mainstream desktop distribution.

--
 - mdz