Re: Future releases of Debian

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 04:51:44PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:26:24AM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > And as I stated above, I think at least half the problem is determining what
> > needs to be done.  Have you any suggestions?
>
> If I were release manager, I'd do the following:
> - start to collect a list of thing that need to be done for Debian 3.1
>   or that were "nice to have" (e.g. a port to amd64 would be nice to
>   have, but shouldn't delay the beginning of the freeze much) together
>   with estimated dates when something on this list will be finished
> - post a plan on how the freeze will work; my old idea was [1] (today
>   I'd suggest a few details different)

I'm not convinced that establishing release goals will and deadlines speed
the release process.  For example, a prominent release goal for sarge will
be debian-installer, since we cannot release without it.  Will telling the
d-i developers "you must be finished by <arbitrary date>" bring it to
completion faster?

--
 - mdz