Re: [internal-projects] [Debian-multimedia] Start an official internal project!

    rh> It depends on what rules you're speaking about. Some rules can
    rh> change quickly and others can't.

I admit that it's been  a long time  since I last checked debian rules
and I wandered around in debian-devel, so  my impressions are not that
first-handed.

    rh> Everything related to the packaging is usually evolving quite
    rh> quickly.  If you think about rules like DFSG and social
    rh> contract, you will have troubles making them evolve ... :-)

You have discovered my secret plans for debian domination at last. :-)

    rh> This one is problematic yes. In particular for mplayer in your
    rh> case.  Suppose that  you won't   be  able to integrate it   in
    rh> Debian  (because  ftpmaster refuse to   take  the risk  to add
    rh> it). You can  still package it  and  make it available  from a
    rh> third party site and modify the installation  process to ask a
    rh> question  like  this one    "some  interesting software   with
    rh> problematic licenses  are   available   on  a separate     apt
    rh> repository, do you want me to add it to your APT configuration
    rh> ?"

Say you have a package called

problematic-program-installer

which adds an apt source line and warns the user.   In that case is it
feasible   for    problematic-program-installer   to  use       debian
infrastructure, given that practically the program itself is not part
of debian?

    rh> I understand you,   I just  want to  prove  you  that you  can
    rh> overcome all your problems within  Debian, it's just a  matter
    rh> of knowing the right thing to do. You can always ask for input
    rh> on debian-devel... and   a good compromise   is likely to   be
    rh> proposed  by  someone (after that  it's   up to the subproject
    rh> leader to decide together with   the contributors what is  the
    rh> best compromise).

I like your attitude.   I think that  will make things much easier for
Marco  and Guenter - whose project,  I remember more for their benefit
than  for mine, is not legally  bound by AGNULA  or  EU funds.  We are
working to clear hurdles and try to cooperate as much as possible, but
I stressed that  because it would be unfair  to them to  catalog their
project as anything else but their own.

    rh> If you have made many changes to many packages, you still have
    rh> the possibilty to change the default configuration of the
    rh> reportbug package that you provide ... :-)

That's something I had thought about, and also I thought about
providing a graphical interface for it (a la bug-buddy).

    rh> Or better, the heavily modified packages that you provide can
    rh> have a file /usr/share/bug/<package>/control which redirect
    rh> the bug report to someone else ... please check
    rh> /usr/share/doc/reportbug/README.developers

That's really nice, I must admit.  [scribble, scribble] wrote on my
TODO to have a look at how reportbug works exactly, that would greatly
help my job in AGNULA.

    rh> As you see, there's always the possibility to do *the right
    rh> thing*. :-)

As there is always the possibility to *screw it up* I try to take the
most conservative road possible. :)

Thank you again for your answers, you are really helping me.

bye,

andrea
--
Andrea Glorioso               andrea.glorioso@centrotemporeale.it