Re: [internal-projects] [Debian-multimedia] Start an official internal project!

    rh> Le Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 12:28:45PM -0400,
    rh> andrea.glorioso@centrotemporeale.it écrivait:
    >> For "pure" Debian packages I intend packages which are made and
    >> part of Debian.  I can of course make a .deb out of any
    >> software, but that doesn't make it automatically part of
    >> Debian.  For example, what about

    rh> You're thinking as if you were outside of Debian. I'm teaching
    rh> how to think when you're within Debian ... :-)

I'll try to be as direct as possible given my position: *I* personally
like Debian and sincerely your  attitude is convincing to try becoming
a  Debian   Developer.   However,  inside   AGNULA,   there  are  some
considerations which  make me think twice  before becoming an official
debian developer - mainly that amongst  the partners there is also Red
Hat France.  Did I say "diplomacy"?

    rh> Sure, but helix packages had big upstream changes ... and here
    rh> we're not  talking about  redoing other packages  from scratch
    rh> but just  enhancing existing debian  packages  and provide new
    rh> packages when they are missing.

Right.

    rh> The demudi specific forked packages are the _exceptions_.

Yep.

    rh> I think it's best choice even if it's not always that easy to
    rh> do ...  build dependencies regularly need to be tweaked for
    rh> recompile. I'm considering proposing a change to debian policy
    rh> to ease the recompile by having several separate set of build
    rh> dependencies.

Have you already something in mind?  As I'm interested in the issues
of software engineering, automated building and conflict resolution I
would like to help you if I can.

    rh> I don't see why it would be a problem ... but anyway, if a
    rh> subproject can't release together with Debian it's not a big
    rh> problem. I mean DebianJunior is there for several years and I
    rh> don't know of any official release yet ... :-)

I need to discuss  about this together with  the AGNULA team.  You are
tempting me, but   for now  I think  that   two separate  projects   -
debian-multimedia, tightly  linked with Debian but officially separate
from AGNULA, and AGNULA  which takes care  of releases and  everything
else (PR, Web site, documentation, etc, etc) would be better for now.

bye,

andrea
--
Andrea Glorioso               andrea.glorioso@centrotemporeale.it