Re: [internal-projects] [Debian-multimedia] Start an official internal project!

    rh> Le Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 02:38:07PM -0400,
    rh> andrea.glorioso@centrotemporeale.it écrivait:
    >> Of course, *if* we decide to integrate DeMuDi into Debian, we
    >> will follow all Debian rules, that's obvious (and I don't think
    >> there would be any way of not doing it, even if we wanted to do
    >> it, which is not the case).

    rh> Debian rules are not constraining. They are the result of a
    rh> long history ... and you still do have your own choice to
    rh> do. I mean "rules" evolve ... because people are doing things
    rh> differently.

Agreed.   Anyway, as I  understood Debian structures from my readings,
an official  change in  Debian rules (*if*   we wanted to push  such a
change,  something   that  in   my  opinion  is  both   difficult  and
undesiderable)  is not something that can  cope with  the schedules we
have to face.

    >> many  reasons why we could decide  that way, some technical and
    >> some political, such  as  the fact the  DeMuDi is   an official
    >> European Project  and as such has  a number of responsibilities
    >> which  Debian  fortunately  doesn't    have) then  a   separate
    >> structure, both tecnical and organizative,  is due.  I'm trying
    >> hard to find a way such as that, in

    rh> Please elaborate, I'm interested in that. In particular since
    rh> DebianEdu may also look for european funding in the future ...

Basically it all boils down to schedules  (and you already suggested a
possible  way,    which seems good   to   me, to overcome    that) and
relationships  with other partners in  the  project.  If, for example,
Debian rules say that  a package is not  ammissible but other partners
say it is and push for this package to be a part of DeMuDi, it makes a
big difference whether DeMuDi is an "official"  part of Debian or is a
separate project which  tries  to live as   happily  as possible  with
Debian.    This is   simply an example,    although I   think  it's an
appropriate one.  And  it's not even said that  such an  example would
ever happen, but both because  of my personal  attitude and because  I
have a  binding contract with Tempo  Reale (and consequently  with the
EU) I wish to avoid  any possible problem  that could arise as much as
possible.

I don't think that  an integration  with  Debian is impossible,  and I
think that  Marco proposal, modulo the  confusion that it caused about
who was going to to what, is a very good step in this direction.

    rh> BTW, you should not try too much to protect maintainers from
    rh> demudi specific bugs ... you don't have people people to
    rh> filter all bugs on your own. Let the maintainer do his work
    rh> but please make sure to respond to maintainers request when
    rh> they come and say "look, i received this bug report wrt
    rh> demudi, i don't know anything about that, can you help me?".

Would this be feasible?  My worst fear  is that developers get reports
coming from DeMuDi and react badly to the submitter.  From their point
of view, they are  quite right, because the  package is not part of an
official Debian       distribution  (be it   sid,   sarge,    woody or
loolapalooza).  From my point of view, that would a pity for DeMuDi.

bye,

andrea
--
Andrea Glorioso               andrea.glorioso@centrotemporeale.it