Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

    Carlos> I've been using Debian since September last year, and I've
    Carlos> *never* felt that to be the case. The system is easy to
    Carlos> maintain (you may not know where to look at first, but it
    Carlos> *is* easy once you find things)

        UNIX _IS_ userfriendly, it's just picky about it's friends

    Carlos> So I'd have to take your word for it, that Deabian is not
    Carlos> geared for us simpleton users.

I _NEVER_ said that it isn't for 'you simpleton users'. I said that it's
PRIMARY function (PRIMARY, not ONLY!!) is for the server/sysadmin market.

I've tried to find some proof of this in the archives, but they're HUGE!

    Carlos> I just don't know what you're talking about here. AFAIK
    Carlos> there's no Server Linux kernel and Home Linux Kernel.

Exactly my point!

    Carlos> And since Debian is using the standard Linux kernel, lightly
    Carlos> patched, I don't really see why you say it's a Server
    Carlos> operating system, and thus arbitrarily limit Debian's
    Carlos> usefulness.

Again, I never said that it can't be used at home, or that it would have
less usefullness there.

    Carlos> On the other hand, the over 10,000 packages available on
    Carlos> your archives are a clear testimony of the wide range of
    Carlos> uses that developers have found Debian to be good for.

In my opinion (and many with me) this is to much. There's to much junk
in there...

    Carlos> So? If you take Debian, name the full CD set "server",
    Carlos> then create a CD set without what you'd call server
    Carlos> software and call it "home" (or "pro"), would both sets
    Carlos> not still be Debian?

Not necessarily. A 'home' distribution would have X, but no DNS, AFS
server, kerberos server etc, etc. A 'server' dist would have all the
'server bits and pieces' but no X...

Naturaly LINUX is the base of it all. Just because someone is running
Slackware on one machine, redhat on another and Debian GNU/Linux on the
third it doesn't mean that they can't run the EXACT same binaries on
all three machines.

    Carlos> Why on earth would you tell people to go use another distribution?

Because Debian GNU/Linux isn't suitable for everyone. The same way I would
call anyone installing RedHat on a heavy loaded internet server 'absolutly
crazy'. There is no such thing as a 'one size fits all', not even in the
computer industry.

    >> They're using 'Windows 2k' (or millennium or whatever).

    Carlos> Now, *that's* clueless. w2k comes from the stable
    Carlos> (well...), made from scratch NT branch, whereas Win ME
    Carlos> comes from the Win9x (patched MsDos), flaky, test branch.
    Carlos> I'd hate to be one of the people you give advice to... ;)

W2k is 'now' (at least by my friends) considered a workstation OS. Only the
inexperienced (my father is one of them) is using Millennium.

Whatever. What I wanted to say is that some people make a distribution
primarily for the homemarket (RedHat), some make distributions for the
'UNIX oldtimers' (Slackware). Some make distributions for server usage
(Debian GNU/Linux). Redhat is claiming to make a server OS as well (RedHat
Pro or whatever). Etc, etc. Everyone have a little niche in the market
where they try to be best. NO ONE is trying to make a 'once size fits all'.
--
Soviet pits Nazi Khaddafi Semtex Clinton Treasury munitions Uzi attack
Iran Serbian strategic terrorist radar