Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 11:53:37PM +0200, Florent Rougon wrote:
> Rob Bradford <rob@debianplanet.org> wrote:

> > Just chill. Whats with all the rush? Debian is brewed longer for a
> > stronger, fresher taste. We only release it when its ready.

> Yeah, great, I like this principle too. There is a least one problem,
> though: some important packages, say XFree 4.2, are said to be waiting
> for woody's release. I know about several cases where this will imply
> (because of the graphics adapters support in 4.2) a Mandrake
> distribution being installed on a server[1] instead of a Debian system.
> I hope I won't have to fix too many things... More importantly, we are
> losing potential users.

Is pushing a group of volunteers to release faster than they can on
their own in order to beat out Mandrake really the best response?  It's
unrealistic to think we've failed just because other OSes sometimes meet
the needs of users better than Debian does.

This is not a contest; Debian is about providing the best Free
Operating System that we can make, not just about market share.  Today,
making the best Free OS that we can means sticking out the release
delays, knowing that when woody does come out it will remain the most
secure and best integrated Linux distro available.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer