Re: exim or postfix for home modem user?

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 11:46:03AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> I wan reading in the exim FAQ:
>
> Q1403: How should Exim be configured when it is acting as a temporary
> storage system for a domain on a dial-up host?
>
> A1403:  Exim isn't really designed for this, but...
>
> Anyways, I'm junior home user Dan.  Every day I connect my modem for
> 20 minutes to my ISP to exchange mail and browse.  Do I want to go
> with the woody installation default and use "exim" or should I instead
> opt for the postfix I was using on Mandrake 7.2 which I am leaving for
> woody?

Have a look at a different MTA, masqmail is designed for
dialup-connections:

 MasqMail is a MTA (mail transport agent) and POP3 client for hosts
 that don't have a permanent internet connection, eg. a home network
 or a single host at home. It has special support for connections to
 different ISPs, and will work nicely along with the masqdialer.
 .
 In these cases, MasqMail is a slim replacement for full-blown MTAs
 such as sendmail, exim, qmail or postfix. The POP3 client can be
 a small replacement for other full-featured tools like fetchmail.

Additionally, the configuration is very easy.

CU
    Thimo

--
Thimo Neubauer <thimo@debian.org>