Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

On 10 Jun 2002 08:15:29 +0200 Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org>
wrote:

>     >> never become stable, right?  People ask me, "What
>     >> distribution > should I use?".  I ask them "What you going to
>     >> use the box for?".  If they say"A desktop machine" I point
>     >> them to Mandrake or RedHat (based on their knowledge level).
>     >> If they say "A server" I point them to Debian and add that
>     >> they better know their stuff.
>
>     Carlos> Then you've been giving *wrong* advice to these
>     Carlos> people.
>
> No he isn't. This is EXACTLY (wordily!) the same advice _I_ give my
> friends/colleagues! Whatever the Social contract (see previous mail in
> thread) say, our _USERS_ are the system administrators out there.
>
> This is our PRIMARY audience. We're not saying that all the others
> shouldn't use our system. We build Debian GNU/Linux PRIMARILY for the
> system admin.

I've been using Debian since September last year, and I've *never* felt
that to be the case. The system is easy to maintain (you may not know
where to look at first, but it *is* easy once you find things), the
debian-user list is among the busiest, highest volume lists I've ever
seen and is monitored by a *lot* of developers, and you can even post to
debian-devel and get useful answers instead of being snubbed...

So I'd have to take your word for it, that Deabian is not geared for us
simpleton users.

> A SERVER operating system isn't (always) suitable for the
> young/inexperienced and/or for the 'home' market (read: 'simple'
> workstation). It CAN be used there, but that's not what it was
> designed for...

I just don't know what you're talking about here. AFAIK there's no
Server Linux kernel and Home Linux Kernel. And since Debian is using the
standard Linux kernel, lightly patched, I don't really see why you say
it's a Server operating system, and thus arbitrarily limit Debian's
usefulness.

On the other hand, the over 10,000 packages available on your archives
are a clear testimony of the wide range of uses that developers have
found Debian to be good for.

> I have quite a lot of friends in the 'Microsoft world' (actually MOST
> of my friends 'live' there).

Same here :)

> They're not using 'M$ Windows 2k Advanced
> Server'(or whatever it's exact model name is :) on their
> home/workstation.

So? If you take Debian, name the full CD set "server", then create a CD
set without what you'd call server software and call it "home" (or
"pro"), would both sets not still be Debian? Why on earth would you tell
people to go use another distribution?

> They're using 'Windows 2k' (or millennium or whatever).

Now, *that's* clueless. w2k comes from the stable (well...), made from
scratch NT branch, whereas Win ME comes from the Win9x (patched MsDos),
flaky, test branch.
I'd hate to be one of the people you give advice to... ;)

--
Carlos Sousa