Re: technical mail setup question (and a little of what was: calling Philip Hands)

On 03-Jun-99, 19:29 (CDT), Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 07:01:57PM -0500, Steve Greenland was heard to say:
> > It doesn't help (enough) because reverse-DNS lookups go back to your ISP
> > provided dynamic name and address. A lot of mail systems will reject you
> > based on this (your claimed name doesn't match your reverse-DNS name).
>
>   Hmm, that's true.  I go through my ISP's mail relay, and my understanding is
> that once they have accepted it (which they do) this isn't an issue. [of course
> I was already wrong once :-) ]  But I guess it makes it worse as a general
> technique.

I should have said: "It doesn't help if you're trying to deliver mail
directly from your box". Joseph points out that so long as the name
resolves to the current dynamic IP, it should work. All I can say is
that when I was trying to do this, I had rejections from a few (overly
aggressive?) spam filters that didn't like the fact that the reverse DNS
didn't match the original name. I suspect such filters unnecessarily
reject a lot of people who have multiple aliases for their servers.

Steve