Re: technical mail setup question (and a little of what was: calling Philip Hands)

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 10:32:27AM -0700, Kevin Turner was heard to say:
> In my head, a hypothetical ISP wrote:
> > Hypothetical angry-user wrote:
> > >
> > > Trust your Internet mail-senders, then.
> >
> > You are awfully free with how our system resources are spent, aren't
> > you?  We only charge $14.95 a month-- we literally CANNOT AFFORD the
> > extra costs in more elaborate spam-pervention.  If you can show me
> > another program with the same low costs (of maintance) that this one
> > does, or are willing to supply the extra resources, fine-- we'll use
> > it.  But for now we're going to stick with this one -- even if it
> > isn't perfect -- because getting spammed isn't an option for us.
>
> Okay.  Enough feeding the silly flame-beasts.  I'd like to direct your
> attention now (especially those of you advocating using your isp's
> relay.) to a very real technical question in debian-user (please
> follow-up to his question there):
>
> Allan M. Wind has a local LAN, I have a dynamic IP, both of us have the
> problem that the hostname that our local Sendmail is telling our ISP's
> SMTP relays is not a resolvable hostname.  The relay declines to do the
> transaction.  Solution?
>
> Because of the necessity (demonstrated in the above thread) of using a
> relay, and what I imagine must be a prevailance of dialup, dynamic-ip
> using users in the linux user base, this must be a *very easy* problem
> to solve upon installation.  In fact, it shouldn't /be/ a problem at
> all.  How can we work to make sure this is so?  It's certainly not
> advisable to change the system hostname on every ppp/ip-up (believe
> me... I tried it last summer ;)
>
> Thanks for your productive efforts in making Debian a better place,
>  - Kevin Turner
>
> --
> Kevin.Turner@oberlin.edu | OpenPGP encryption welcome here, see X-DSA-Key

  I'm still curious about the 'right' solution; I used Linux for two years
and never figured out how to send mail without editing the smail config file to
claim my new dynamic address as a source when sending mail.

  However, I now have a hack in place to fix it.  Check out the 'dhis' package
in potato (it compiles easily for Slink if you don't have potato)--it's a free
service that effectively gives you a static hostname on a dynamic IP address.
It also does mail spooling but I don't use it so I can't say how useful it is.

  Daniel

--
  He had a terrible memory.  He remembered everything.