Re: calling Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 10:40:54PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > I do not relay.  My ISP runs NT on its mail server.  I want my mail
> > delivered and unmangled.  I would be greatly offended if my email started
> > getting rejected simply because I don't have a relay set up (especially
> > given that I'm running a Linux workstation here and don't NEED a relay to
> > get my mail safely to where it belongs.)
>
> But read above. The reasons for requiring a relay are quite clear
> and quite valid. It doesn't matter how safe your Linux is for
> delivering mail, it's just as safe for a spammer and therefore not allowed.

Then provide me a relay I can use.  If you can't do that, you have no
business telling me that I can't just not use one.

How would you feel if you were not allowed to irc from Linux because
Linux makes it easy to use DoS attacks on windoze users?  I'm sure you'd
say that's silly--and so did I.

If the best you can do for filtering spam is indiscriminantly blocking
most of the Internet, the problem is YOURS, not mine.

> > Let me be the many likely to tell you where you can place your
> > "acceptable manner"...  Provide me a useful mail relay and I might
>
> Any mail relay not provided by your ISP is probably also available
> to spammers. Therefore it's useless.

You're free to offer to pay the balance required for me to use another
ISP ....

> > consider using it.  Maybe.  Otherwise you haven't a leg to stand on as
> > far as I'm concerned because I do NOT have a useful mail relay unless I'm
> > it.  And yes, I have a dialup account.  So what?
>
> Get an ISP that you can trust then.

You are awfully free with how my money is spent aren't you?  No, I
literally CANNOT AFFORD the extra costs involved with a new ISP.

Now I can finally explain to everyone why I do this.  I just got $7 worth
of free stuff for working on Debian !