Re: Language and locale setting in /root/dbootstrap_setting

[Phil Blundell]
> It doesn't seem to work for me.  My /etc/locale.gen includes:
>
> fr_FR ISO-8559-1
> de_DE.ISO-8859-1 ISO-8859-1
>
> If I do "LANG=fr_FR ls --help", I get the French help text; if I do
> "LANG=fr_FR.ISO-8859-1 ls --help", the messages come out in English.
> Conversely, "de_DE" gives me English and "de_DE.ISO-8859-1" gives me
> German.
>
> So it seems that an exact match is required.  I admit this is scarcely
> an exhaustive test, though.

Strange.  I just tested with German.  I have this in /etc/locale.gen

  de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15

When I run locale-gen, it outputs this strange locale name:

  Generating locales...
    de_DE.ISO-8859-15@euro... done
  Generation complete.

I have to use the name listed in the LANG variable to get the German
translation.  I can't use any other variation:

  % LANG=de_DE.ISO-8859-15@euro date
  Mit Feb 13 13:59:08 CET 2002
  % LANG=de_DE.ISO-8859-15 date
  Wed Feb 13 13:59:14 CET 2002
  % LANG=de_DE date
  Wed Feb 13 13:59:18 CET 2002
  % LANG=de_DE@euro.ISO-8859-15 date
  Wed Feb 13 13:59:51 CET 2002
  %

What is the output from locale-gen when you run it on your system?