Re: cvs commit to boot-floppies/utilities/dbootstrap by blade

[Philip Blundell]
> I thought that too, but experimentation suggests that bare language
> codes don't actually work as locales.  It seems that the only locale
> codes you can put in /etc/locale.gen are those for which files exist in
> /usr/share/i18n/locales (I think this is probably the list given in
> /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED).  So, at least on a standard system, trying
> to generate a "fr" locale will fail.

Hm, yes.  I did some testing, and one need a country as well.  Any
supported country will do, as it first tries 'fr_FR' and then tries
only 'fr' when looking for translations.  Picking the first supported
country could work to get the programs use the available translations.

> Even if this did work, base-config would still need to include the
> country code in the ultimate setting for $LANG, since users will
> expect LC_TIME, LC_MONETARY and so on to have the correct values.
> In fact the user will already get asked this question at some point
> by tzconfig, so base-config just needs to do it first and then make
> sure it creates /etc/timezone.

Why not ask for country and language in boot-floopies, and pass the
information on to base-config for use by tzconfig, keyboard config and
in the LANG variable?

I guess patches are welcome?