Re: cvs commit to boot-floppies/utilities/dbootstrap by blade

On Sun, 2002-02-10 at 21:47, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Well, two-character language codes are normally valid locales, but I
> guess the problem is the fact that the 'locales' package isn't
> installed yet, /etc/locale.gen do not contain the requested locale
> and/or locale-gen have not generated the requested locales yet.  The
> proper fix for this is to install 'locales' early, and make sure to
> fill /etc/locale.gen with sensible content before locale-gen is
> executed.

I thought that too, but experimentation suggests that bare language
codes don't actually work as locales.  It seems that the only locale
codes you can put in /etc/locale.gen are those for which files exist in
/usr/share/i18n/locales (I think this is probably the list given in
/usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED).  So, at least on a standard system, trying
to generate a "fr" locale will fail.

Even if this did work, base-config would still need to include the
country code in the ultimate setting for $LANG, since users will expect
LC_TIME, LC_MONETARY and so on to have the correct values.  In fact the
user will already get asked this question at some point by tzconfig, so
base-config just needs to do it first and then make sure it creates
/etc/timezone.

p.