Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On 14 September 2014 02:24, Avi <fiendishx@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2014 7:21 PM, "Ben Hutchings" <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2014-09-13 at 15:40 -0700, Avi wrote:
>> > It is common practice that the presenter should repeat any question
>> > before answering it.
>>
>> Only if the question was not spoken into a microphone.
>>
>> > As long as this speaking protocol is followed, I don't see any
>> > understanding issues arrising from only recording the presenter.
>>
>> Presenters often forget to do this.
> Remind them. :)

Not an option. From what I have seen, speakers fail to do that 50% of
the time even when remained. We would need to have the person that
usually carries the microphone around instead stand there and remind
to repeat the question. Or he could repeat the question. Or just give
the questioner the microphone and not have everyone in the room listen
to each question twice and play broken telephone with the audience.

We are talking about a handful of people "against" several hundred
on-site and several hundred more off-site. I am glad to set up some
extra rules to accommodate their special wishes. Removing useful
things from hundreds of other people is not ok.

The concept of "if you are in a talk room, you agree to be recorded"
is a perfectly reasonable one to start with - we have done this so
far. Proposing 'no recording' special zones inside talk rooms, as a
concession to wishes of a few people, will cause extra work for the
volunteer teams without a negative impact on other people, so that is
fine, as long as the people doing the work agree to this. Anything
that has a negative impact on other people is, in my opinion, a
non-starter due to both low number of people affected by this and by
the simplicity of "well, don't be in the room - we have great streams"
solution.

However, by now it is clear that I will need to synchronize thoughts
with the video team, so that we have a common "Debconf recording
policy" for next year that people can see before registration opens
(as a link from registration form checkbox, probably).

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org