Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 04:11:35PM +0000, Clint Adams wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:44:24AM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > So do you think we should no longer record and stream the Debconf talks?

> I would personally be fine with this but people tell me that the
> conference video is integral to producing a great free operating
> system.

> > Or what's your solution to be able to continue to record and stream
> > video from talks and at the same time respect your privacy?

> I think it's fine to record me if I'm giving a talk and have
> consented to being on video.  If I'm quietly sitting in the
> audience, though, what possible value is there to film me?

If you are seated next to someone who is asking a question, the value is in
*not* having to accommodate individual requests to not be videoed, and
having these requests disrupt the utility of the videos in capturing the
flow of discussion.

If you want to not be videoed, in a session where we are recording both the
speaker and the audience interactions, you should bear the burden of making
sure you're seated in the designated "no film" area.