Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On 09/10/2014 08:16 PM, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
>  that would take extra days of my work for no good reason.

i understand that it's extra work, but i don't understand why it's "no
good reason" -- we're trying to respect people who are signalling (via
e.g. a black lanyard) that they would rather not be photographed.  This
is a good reason.

As a project, we do a number of things out of respect for user freedom
and out of respect for upstream that many others (others in the software
development world, even, to say nothing about others in the broader
world) would probably say are "for no good reason."  And those extra
things take extra work -- i know lots of people in the project who have
sunk extra days into sorting out details that less conscientious people
would have just punted on and said "meh".

I'm really glad we have that kind of conscientious person in the
Project.  It's one of the things i find attractive about Debian.

I would love it if consideration for our fellow conference-goers' wishes
was treated in the same way.

To be clear: some mistakes will be made: Some people who wish to not be
photographed will accidentally be photographed, and some of those
photographs will be published without noticing their indication.  And
some mistakes will be made on the other side too: some photographs might
be missed or deleted because of confusion about whether everyone in the
photo was wearing an "i'm ok with photographs" lanyard.  No one will be
pilloried for making mistakes.  We can learn from them and we can try to
address some of them once they're brought to our attention.

This is still a better outcome than the current situation; let's try to
be good to each other.

	--dkg