Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dijo [Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:52:33PM -0400]:
> On 09/10/2014 08:16 PM, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> >  that would take extra days of my work for no good reason.
>
> i understand that it's extra work, but i don't understand why it's "no
> good reason" -- we're trying to respect people who are signalling (via
> e.g. a black lanyard) that they would rather not be photographed.  This
> is a good reason.

A better way, though, would be to signal with a brightly colored and
reflective lanyard (for which we would pay more, but would make things
much easier for all). Yes, that makes people with those lanyards be
more visible in "meatspace", and in photos made by people not caring
for our social norms, but we will not prevent that anyway.

People not wanting to be on photos will need to make it visible to
others. They need me to link their face to their preference (so that I
don't target them while at the bar). I don't believe it is asking too
much to ask them to make their preference visible. They are, anyway,
protecting their privacy *from the internet*, not from us colleagues
in meatspace.

We should, as you mention being proud of the social aspects in our
project. But I do feel strongly the "no photo" group should be opt-in
(and not the "photos OK" group). I don't have numbers for DC14 (and it
seems that the field was useless for DC7-13 — Pentabarf shows 100% for
"true" in photo_or_film_ok), but I was quite visibly taking photos,
and only one person requested me to delete a photo. And yes, I know
many might have shied away from bugging me (please do!) but I'm sure a
strong majority with no issues still holds.

And anyway, the historic memory value we get from having photos from
the conference is IMO quite high.