Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On 11 September 2014 02:22, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Donnerstag, 11. September 2014, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
>> This is a great idea - if we can make a no-photo lanyard be double
>> wide *and* light up when exposed to photo flash (like the pedestrian
>> safety reflectors)
>
> now I miss the </irony> tags and fear you really think so. besides "uhm, no"
> I'm at loss at words though...
>
> ok, found my words again: make these the lanyards for people who want their
> pictures taken. (and TBH, I think this years white swirly ones were quite very
> well visible - once again perfect is the enemy of good. ;-)
>
> So just white+black ones is totally good enough.

No it is not. It is not even good.

The point of high reflectivity lanyards is that they "pop-out" and
look ugly in any photo (assuming a flash was used) and are very
visible in the photo while being relatively normal in real life. As an
example - https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107099528362923100900/albums/6050571097260627409/6051238743998667586?pid=6051238743998667586&oid=107099528362923100900
are there people here with non-standard lanyards? How many seconds
will it take to find them? There should be two, did you get both?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107099528362923100900/albums/6050571097260627409/6051238770680791586?pid=6051238770680791586&oid=107099528362923100900
- is there a person with a black lanyard in this shot? How many
seconds did it take to determine that?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107099528362923100900/albums/6050571097260627409/6051238817990978994?pid=6051238817990978994&oid=107099528362923100900
- same question.

Now - it takes me between 1 and 3 seconds of human time on average to
post-process each photo taken (that might be a couple of thousands).
Consider how much more time trying to find black lanyards will take.
Now multiply that be a couple thousands.

If it takes me less than a second to say with confidence whether there
is a no-photo lanyard in the picture or not - I can sacrifice the
extra hour for photo processing to accommodate that. Especially if
such an occurrence is an exception anyway, because the people with
such requirements generally hang out in photo-free zones and the
lanyard is different and bright enough to be easily visible and
recognizable even without flash.

If this would take several seconds for each photo, like hunting for
each persons lanyard and checking if it is white or black, then that
would take extra days of my work for no good reason. Also if people
with such lanyards sit in non-photo-free zones of talks - that would
make me grumpy. And the video team would then have to avoid showing
them in live streams as well - same laws apply.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org