Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

Clint Adams <clint@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 09:23:33AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> If you are seated next to someone who is asking a question, the value is in
>> *not* having to accommodate individual requests to not be videoed, and
>> having these requests disrupt the utility of the videos in capturing the
>> flow of discussion.
>>
>> If you want to not be videoed, in a session where we are recording both the
>> speaker and the audience interactions, you should bear the burden of making
>> sure you're seated in the designated "no film" area.
>
> What would be better is to have a small "film" area up near the
> speaker, and allow those who wish to be filmed show their explicit
> consent by moving into it to ask their questions on camera, and to
> not force anyone to be in that area if they do not want to be.

I might be wrong on this, but I expect those that don't mind to be
filmed to vastly outnumber those that oppose to it. So to me it seems
enough to make it clear that talk rooms are filmed and to have a space
for those that don't want to be filmed but still want to attend the
talk.

Having only a small "film" areay would make it harder to ask questions.
Either questions would be asked without microphone anyway because people
don't care about moving to the film area first or it would hinder a
lively discussion as everyone has to move to the microphone/film area
first to ask a question. I prefer a setup where it's easy for the
audience to ask a question and for the live streaming and video quality it's
important that questions are asked with a microphone and the person is
filemd (if they agree). Having the person on video makes it easier to
follow the discussion and to understand the question for non native
speakers as you have additional non verbal communication hints.

But I agree that this view might be skewed be that fact that I
personally think that the talks video are very valueable and don't mind
being filmed during the talks.

Gaudenz