Re: sudo security Was: Reporting missing package during install

Ralf Mardorf writes:
 > On Wed, 2013-12-11 at 15:33 +0100, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
 > >  > You need  to inform yourself, to  know that there's a  callback for
 > >  > the danger to life baby bottle.
 > >
 > > Ouch, InsufficentEnglishSkillException! Could you help me please :)
 >
 > Assumed a baby bottle does poison the milk, because they use bad
 > synthetic material and assumed there should be a callback, nobody comes
 > to your home and gives you this information, you need to read the news
 > or read a notice where you bought the baby bottle.

Got the point, except that the information has a larger broadcasting
than a single web site.

 > Debian btw. has got a FreeBSD port too, but I couldn't install
 > it to VirtualBox for testing, installation failed.

This is really O.T. :), but you gave me a good idea about installing
FreeBSD on a kvm-supported vm... Thanks!

 > If a user should disagree with sudo, the user could disable sudo and use
 > su instead.

To agree or disagree you have to be informed.

 > "Ubuntu: ancient African word meaning "I can not install Debian"" - from
 > your signature.
 >
 > I install *buntu to help newbies and assumed a release of *buntu is
 > ok,

1) It's a joke

2) there are issues with the system choices in Ubuntu (or there were
   some issues) especially on servers, but is really OT in this
   mailing list. If you like, we could discuss it in a private e-mail
   exchange.

 > The problem with *buntu is, that it fakes, that
 > a user has not to do that much, that less self-responsibility should be
 > needed.

This is an issue. The real problem is that you should make it easy but
not reduce self-responsibility. It should prevent users from acting
dangerously unless they want - and therefore understand - to do so.

My opinion is that Free Software should differentiate itself from
proprietary software also in not taking design decisions that are
flashy but potentially dangerous, I would never read the adjective
"madness" describing a design decision in a Free Software item (I
got it in a Microsoft Press book of the mid '90, and was about the 32
bit architecture).

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO