Re: Reporting missing package during install

Lisi Reisz writes:
 > On Saturday 07 December 2013 21:36:30 Bob Proulx wrote:
 > > If you look back in the mailing list archives you will find a
 > > recent discussion where there were some people who didn't like
 > > sudo.  I was shocked by that because I always thought that most
 > > people liked it.
 >
 > Yes, I don't like it and always want a root password.  As you say,
 > this is and has been contentious.

My €0.02 to the debate.

sudo has been  introduced to give limited root power  to a limited set
of  users, something  in between  using  the root  password (only  the
admins) and the setuid bit (all those that could run a program).

If  some users  needed to  have  the root  power  for a  small set  of
operation, then  sudo would give  them that  extact power, no  more no
less.

What are the benefits of The "Macintosh/Ubuntu" use of sudo? Improved
security? Are you kidding? Whatever the user I compromise I have root
access, just type "sudo bash".

Furthermore the  sudo habit of  keeping valid an authentication  for a
certain amount  of time  seems like  an open  door for  malicious code
injection.

And if  this not enough, sudo  may become disruptive on  machines with
several users, unless  all of them have the  required skills (included
the  one of  stopping and  asking advice!)  and common  administration
policies are accepted by all.

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO