sudo security Was: Reporting missing package during install

On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 08:47 +0100, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf writes:
>  > I know they hack servers, but was the Linux home PC of anybody on this
>  > list ever hacked?
>
> How could you detect? Are you sure you have the skills to detect this?

It's possible to e.g. monitor network traffic, but I'm not doing it. I
guess on my machine at least the amount of audio xruns would increase,
if something would be active in the background. Likely that audio apps
completely would crash, or at least there would be more jackd connection
issues.

Now, not using real-time apps, just doing office work, I wouldn't notice
something evil. There's nothing from interest, no information, no money
nothing somebody could get by my machine. It only could be used to send
spam.

We can't take care about everything. Perhaps somebody on my street raids
somebody, but I won't spend the whole day watching out of the window,
I'm not the police.

If I need a protection for my computer I would take care about it. I
still would use su and sudo, but perhaps use something like AppArmor and
other protections.

How do averaged Windows users detect a virus. Sometimes the anti virus
software does, but usually something fails.

More likely the next GTK update will cause an issue, than a virus ;).