Re: sudo security Was: Reporting missing package during install

Ralf Mardorf writes:
 > On Wed, 2013-12-11 at 09:39 +0100, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
 > > Let's suppose that Debian+Ubuntu get the largest share of the
 > > installed end user desktops.
 >
 > The tendency is that seemingly newbies start using pre-build Linux
 > environments and use Linux as they would use Windows, IOW without
 > self-responsibility.

[... ommissis ...]

 > Those tendencies will make some Linux installs insecure, because the
 > problem exists between chair and keyboard, su or sudo or some other
 > technical reasons have nothing to do with it.

For these very reasons those who know should do things in order to let
others go safely without being forced to acquire skills.

Jobs (Steve) thought about computers that are used like appliances.
Fine! That's great! But the appliances makers must ensure that their
devices are safe and supply safety instructions: how much space you
must leave around your TV to prevent it from overheating, how to
handle correctly the electric knife blades.

It happens that appliances are called back by manufacturers due safety
issues.

Even if software is much more complex and (almost) impossible to prove
right, even if Linux is a volunteer driven effort, even if there are
the non-warranties, the software distribution should be assembled with
the same care.

About my messages sent to the person I reply to AND to the list, it's
all my fault. I apologize with you all.

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO