Re: Unable to install custom package using defined dependency version

On Sat 27 May 2017 at 13:51:01 (-0500), Sijis Aviles wrote:
> On May 26, 2017 7:09 PM, I wrote:
>
>> cpp-4.8 and gcc-4.8,
>> python2.7-minimal and python2.7,
>> python3-minimal and python3,
>> etc.
>>
>  Ahh, I didn't realize you suggested to make the package name include the
> version (eg my-app-1.0.5).
>
> That's an interesting approach I didn't think about.
>
> Related, but how do other places do "nightly" build of their packages.

I don't know what they are.

> Do
> they also include the version as part of the package name itself.
>
> Thanks for all the advice. This has made me rethink a few things.

The main reason for including versioning in the package name is
where they need to coexist on the system, as in the examples above.
Most people like me write python3 but the system has to have
python2.7 if only because system software still uses it.

Both tcl and tk have multiple versions, presumably because of
different vintages of software that use them as extension languages.
Guile is another example, though Debian appear determined to
eliminate guile-1.8 in stretch even though this prevents
LilyPond from being included in the release.

Another example is kernel images, where the ABI version is
in the package name.

Cheers,
David.