Re: Rebooting and HDD spinup / spindown cycles [WAS: Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1]

On 2013-10-23, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Don't confuse
>
> 12 Power_Cycle_Count
>
> with
>
> 193 Load_Cycle_Count

Well, actually, I just discovered that my Western Digital (WD15EARS)
drive suffers from the dreaded Load_Cycle_Count syndrome
(parked/unparked heads once every 8 seconds for the last two years).

Color me stupid.  But live and learn. I'm too embarassed to give you my
load cycle count, but if I had as many euros as I do cycles, I'd be
living in luxury down on the Côte d'Azur.

I downloaded and compiled idle3-tools-0.9.1 and disabled the idle timer.
Powered down. Powered up.

smartctl -A /dev/sda reveals that I'm not getting richer anymore.